Kurt Dixon is a clinical psychologist who is experienced in working with adults and adolescents, in both a therapeutic inpatient unit and in a community-setting. Kurt works mostly psycho-dynamically which is a form of insight orientated therapy to assist clients with symptom reduction, develop self-awareness and more adaptive ways of functioning. He also has extensive experience in skills based interventions such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), group therapy and alternative methods such as Mindfulness Stress Reduction. Kurt conducts psycho-educational and psychometric assessments for children and adults.
Prior to joining FSRI, he spent four years at Stikland Psychiatric Hospital in South Africa, working in both the inpatient Adult Therapeutic Ward and the Outpatients Department. Kurt has also completed Intermediary Training in Group Analytic Psychotherapy, and a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction program. He has recently been trained in a new and exciting form of therapy called BrainWorking Recursive Therapy which is very effective for conditions such as anxiety, phobias, panic attacks, self-esteem issues, exam stress etc.
Kurt also has a keen interest in applying alternative methods to promote health and wellbeing such as mindfulness and group drumming. While in Kuwait he has also lectured on the principles of DBT, and participated in community health initiatives.
Kurt received a B.A. and a Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and a Master’s degree in Research Psychology from the University of The Western Cape in South Africa, and is registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA).
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Masters in Clinical Psychology, University of Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
- Masters in Research Psychology, University of Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Intermediate Certificate in Group Analytic Psychotherapy
- Certificate of Attendance for Fundamental Training Program in Eye Movement Integration Therapy
- Certificate of Attendance in Djembe Drum Facilitation course, intermediate level
- Level 1 Certification as a BrainWorking Recursive Therapy (BWRT) Professional
- Health Professions Council of South Africa
- Board of Health Care Funders, South Africa
- Institute of BrainWorking Recursive Therapy (in process)