Heather Dowell is a highly trained physical therapist with extensive background within the UK’s National Health Service (NHS). Heather specializes in pediatric physiotherapy, and has a broad range of experience treating children with growth and developmental disorders, including: profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), gait disorders, developmental delays, musculoskeletal conditions in babies and children, coordination disorders, autism, multi-sensory impairments and complex physical difficulties.
In additional to rehabilitative care, Heather also provides palliative care and has worked closely with children diagnosed with varying types of cancers, providing them with care throughout the different stages of the disease. She also has a keen interest in in providing education and professional training for both students and clinicians, and has been involved with the assessment, development and implementation of physiotherapy educational programs.
In her native UK, Heather garnered a wealth of experience working as a Community Pediatric Physiotherapist in several areas. She also served as a pediatric physiotherapist at different healthcare institutions including the Seashell Trust Charity, Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, the Christie Hospital and Claire House Children’s Hospice. Heather has also served as medical classifier for the British Para-Swimming team, working with athletes who suffer from a physical disability to asses and profile their conditions.
Heather graduated in 2011 from Cardiff University in Wales, earning a Bachelor’s degree in Physical Therapy, with honors. She has further acquired a number of professional development certifications including: rehabilitation in cancer, palliative care and oncological emergencies, muscle strengthening in cerebral palsy, enhanced recovery and many more.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Bachelor of Science, Physiotherapy, Cardiff University, UK
- Gait biomechanics and orthotics
- Rehabilitation in oncology
- Functional Movement Systems
- Pilates Matwork, Level 1, Australian Physiotherapy and Pilates Institute
- Pediatric Gait Analysis and Orthotics Management
- Understanding Cancer
- Introduction to Pediatrics
- National Sports First Aid Course
- Muscular Dystrophy, UK
- Neuromuscular Upskilling
- Pediatric Rheumatology
- Rehabilitation in Cancer Care
- Brain Tumors and Cognition
- Low Temperature Thermoplastic Splinting
- British Para-Swimming, Level 2 Para-Swimming Classifier
- Amateur Swimming Association, Swimming Coach and Disability Swimming
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
- Association of Pediatric Chartered Physiotherapists